When you are travelling long haul you will normally need to stop at least once.
These ‘lay overs’ can be anything from an hour to 12+ hours.
Instead of hanging around the airport for hours why not book into a hotel for a couple of days and see a different city, or country.
Popular Stay Over Locations
Travelling from Australia to Europe I have had stay overs in :
- Hong Kong
Flying between Australia and North America I have stayed over at:
- New Zealand
- Los Angeles when flying from the East Coast of the USA.
Advantages of Stay Overs
- An extra place to experience.
- Helps reduce the effects of ‘Jet Lag’.
- Two 8-10 hour flights with a couple of day rest in the middle are a lot easier on the body than 20 or more hours continuous travelling.
- In some cases it can actually save you money.
- Less stress about missing a connecting flight.
When you are planning a long haul flight don’t just look at direct flights look at flights that may take in another city close to the route.
Its not impossible on some routes to make up to a 40% saving, which could pay for a couple of nights hotel stay!
My Personal Stay Over Travel Hack
Having been caught out several times with immigration delays on entering the USA I now always arrange to stay over at least one day at the city that I fly into.